Psalm 28:1 “To You, O LORD, I call; My rock, do not be deaf to me, For if You are silent to me, I will become like those who go down to the pit.” (NAS)
Have you ever felt like God is not speaking to you? I know I have experienced a time when I felt that way. Since seeing the movie “Silence” by Martin Scorsese this past weekend, I have pondered God’s silence. The show caused my husband and me much discussion around the subject as well as other topics brought up in the film. I highly recommend the movie but be aware; it will challenge you in many ways.
Is God ever really silent?
I saw a quote in an article by Jon Bloom that explained “God’s silence is how it feels, it’s not how it is” I think this statement goes directly to the heart of the issue, God’s silence is a perception, not a reality. So, if God is not silent, then what is keeping us from hearing Him?
I think sometimes we misunderstand the situation. As Isaiah 55:8 explains below, God’s ways are not our ways. We believe He is silent because we do not understand His ways. God may have a purpose for allowing us to perceive a period of silence.
- Maybe God is speaking in a very soft whisper. God wants our full attention when He speaks.
- The more God lets us feel alone, the more we might earnestly seek Him.
- The noise of the world might drown out His voice. Our constant connection to our electronics can be deafening.
- Our sins may scream louder than God’s small, still voice. Sometimes repentance must happen first.
Isaiah 55:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.” (NIV)
A period of silence is not the time to give up. There are steps you can take to make your way through the perceived dessert.
- Keep on praying and talking to God. He is always listening even when you can not hear Him.
- Turn to His written word, the Bible, to seek His words for you.
- Examine your heart and life.
- Find a quiet time and place just to listen for Christ to speak.
Matthew 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (NIV)
Yvonne with Orphan Relief Effort
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”