As a child, I learned in Sunday School that the word B.I.B.L.E could be explained as Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. However, as I grew older, I discovered that the Bible was so much more. Most importantly, I discovered that our instruction manual for life also provides us examples of how best to live for Christ. The Good Book gives us laws, helps us understand right from wrong, how to be a good neighbor, and all about God’s love for us.
Many people only want to use the Bible as a means to follow the rules. Most importantly, the Bible contains an action plans for us to follow. In other words, we receive our marching orders within the pages. For instance, we learn that we must go into the world and spread the Good News of Christ. And we find many examples to support this call of action. Let’s look at some of these Bible stories and verses that reveal how to live a life of mission.I discovered that our instruction manual for life also provides us with examples of how best to live for Christ. Click To Tweet
Our Instruction Manual
The Old Testament
- God created Adam and Eve to populate the world. He wanted to walk in a close relationship with everyone and to be there God. But, then sin came along and destroyed the garden.
- God called Noah to save his family so he could repopulate the world after the flood. Once again, sin ruined the situation.
- God called Abram to birth a Godly nation. This nation would unite people to follow the God of Israel, and God would bless them. Sin entered the people of Israel, and they strayed away.
- He delivered the Ten Commandments to lead us back to God.
- The Lord gave Samuel great wisdom to teach the people to follow Him.
- God tells Isaiah to remind the Israelites of His Mighty Powers, and Isaiah responds with, “Here I am, send me.”
The New Testament
- Jesus demonstrated His mission of sharing the Good News of God be going out into the world.
- The disciples go out in groups to spread the Gospel.
- The Book of Acts details out how the Gospel continued to get spread after the resurrection of Christ.
- Paul turns from persecuting the early Christians to spending his entire life to preach God’s words to everyone who would listen.
- Matthew 28:19-20; 19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
- Acts 1:8; “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
- Acts 13:47; “For this is what the Lord has commanded us:” ‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'”
- Matthew 24:14; “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”
- 1 Chronicles 16:24; “Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.”
- Psalm 96:3; “Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.”
In conclusion, God’s instruction manual contains much rich material about living a holy life. However, we must also remember it teaches us the way to conquer evil and bring others into the Kingdom of God. That is to say that the Bible calls each of us into action outside the walls of the church. Will you respond like Isaiah by telling God, “here I am, send me?”Will you respond like Isaiah by telling God, "here I am, send me?" Click To Tweet
Here Am I
A world lost in sin and darkness
I glimpse from heaven on high
Who can reach my loved ones?
Send me Lord, here am I
The poor, the sick and the forgotten
I hear their anguished souls cry
Who will teach them the path to life?
Send my Lord, here am I
Busyness and worldly wants abounding
But their souls feel empty and run dry
Who will show them the love of Christ?
Send my Lord, here am I
Their Savior died to give life eternal
But time is short, and they must decide
Who will show them to the Throne of Grace?
Send me Lord, here am I
The Lord calls each of us to reach the lost.Poem by Yvonne Morgan
To show them the path of life on high.
Will you answer the call of Jesus and say?
Send me Lord, here am I
Dearest Jesus. Thank you for providing us the Bible as our guide for life. Help me to use it to learn Your ways. Guide me and my thoughts as I search Your scriptures. Forgive me for the times I neglect to learn from Your words. Let me always be willing to say, Here I am, send me daily. Amen.
Yvonne M. Morgan, author, blogger, and speaker.
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
100% of the proceeds from sales of my book, Turning Mountains Into Molehills, go to help the orphans at Orphan Relief Effort, Inc.
16 thoughts on “Instruction Manual for Life”
Beautiful poem. Even after all these years of reading the Bible, I glean something new each time I read Scripture. The Word of God is powerful.
I learn more all the time too. It is very powerful. Thanks Melissa. Stay safe and God bless
Yvonne, I loved your post here about the importance of Scripture as being our life instruction manual! Your poem, “Send Me”, is lovely. You inspire us to live right daily. Thanks! (sharing to twitter and signing up to follow your blog, etc.)
Thank you very much. I appreciate you visiting and hope I can continue to inspire you in your walk with Christ. Stay safe and God bless.
I, too, learned as a child that the Bible was an instruction book.
But as an adult, I learned it is also a love letter from God to His children, filled with everything we need to have an intimate relationship with Him.
The Bible is so many things and that is why it is so amazing. It’s a love letter, instruction manual, encouraging and roadmap. Thanks Ava. Stay safe and God bless.
It’s a bit scary–sometimes more so, but every day, we are to be available to say “Here am I” to whatever and wherever God directs us.
It can be scary but looking back shows how incredible God’s plan are for us. Thanks Nancy. Stay safe and God bless.
I love this! You are so right: the Bible is FAR more than “basic instructions before leaving life.” The Bible is my roadmap, my guide, and a wonderful way to communicate with my Lord. God bless you!
Thanks so much Jessica. The Bible is so incredible and full of wonderful information and examples. Stay safe and God bless.
A beautiful post on the entirety of the Bible and the reasons it is so important, speaking to our lives in every situation. Your poetry about God’s Word is touching and uplifting. We need the Bible now more than ever, I think, for we live in a society with no bedrock of common knowledge of the Word of God, as we were blessed to have in this country at one time. That is now gone. May the Lord lead many to read the Bible and to take its message to heart.
Amen. I think many have left the Bible on the shelf for too long. We must read it to nourish our souls and find the direction in life. Thanks Melinda. Stay safe and God bless.
Another beautiful poem, and prayed the ending prayer along with you. So thankful for our instruction manual to live a life pleasing to God, lead other to Christ, and confirm our mission in this world.
Thanks Karen. The Bible provides us a compass and a measuring stick for our lives. Stay safe and God bless.
The Bible gives us guidance for living a Christlike life and it nourishes us to carry it out! I loved this post – the scriptures, the poem and prayer. God has given us such a great gift in giving us the Bible, His Word. Through it we know Him and can actually become like Him. No other book can transform our innermost being. As we hear His voice in His Word, may we go where He sends.
Amen sister. No other book ever written carries the power to change the hearts of the most hardcore sinner. And when we go and spread His word, it produces an incredible crop of new followers to carry on the work. Thanks Melissa. Stay safe and God bless.