Who doesn’t love a good love story? We all want the hero to win the girl at the end of the book or movie because it makes us feel good—stories where love conquers all give us hope for our futures. So, as we prepare our hearts for Valentine’s Day, let us look at some of the greatest love stories ever told.
Top Ten Love Stories
Here is my list of the top ten greatest love stories (in random order):
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
- The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
- Casablanca by Murray Burnett
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Princess Bride by Williams Goldman
- The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Your list probably differs from mine. Some might prefer the more modern stories, or others might enjoy true love stories more. But, no matter your preferences, I think we can all agree that love stories offer us something our hearts long for in the real world.
The Greatest Love Story
But, I think most of us forget to mention the greatest love story of all time. We find this story in the Bible. We see this one in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, where they describe the love Jesus offers us. And, this kind of love differs from the ones found in movies and books. Because, Jesus loves us unconditionally, sacrificially, and for eternity. Also, these characteristics are not found in any human love.Jesus loves us unconditionally, sacrificially, and for eternity. Click To Tweet
Let’s look at this love story by reviewing some of the verses from the Bible:
- John 3:16 (NIV); “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- Romans 5:8 (NIV); “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- John 15:13 (NIV); “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
- 1 John 3:1 (NIV); “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”
- Galatians 2:20 (NIV); “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
- Romans 5:5 (NIV); “And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
- 1 John 4:10 (NIV); “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”
- Ephesians 2:4-5 (NIV); “4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.”
- Romans 8:39 (NIV); “either height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Psalm 103:8-11 (NIV); “8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;”
Read More about it
Nothing compares to this type of love, and no human can offer such love. So, if you want to read a good love story, check out the Bible. It is the greatest love story ever told.Jesus tells us the greatest love story. Click To Tweet
Dearest Lord, teach us that Your words make up the greatest love story ever told. And, as Valentine’s Day approaches, let us seek Your love first. Also, show us how to love like You. Thank you for setting the example for us to follow. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Yvonne M. Morgan is a Christian author, blogger, and speaker.
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
Click photo to purchase books
16 thoughts on “Greatest Love Stories”
Amen. Jesus tell us the greatest love story of all time.
Yes, He really does. Thanks Melissa and God bless.
So very true. I can’t find a more beautiful love story than what’s contained in the Bible!!
Amen Jessica. Thanks for commenting and God bless.
Such a beautiful analogy. Yes, the Bible chronicles the greatest love story of all!
Thanks Ava and God bless
It’s our season to celebrate love. But Jesus loves us all year ’round.
Amen and thanks Nancy
A wonderful list recording God’s love stated over and over again throughout the Bible, for the Lord knows how difficult it for us to comprehend and to grasp his love, seen most clearly through Christ’s death on the cross to pay for our sins. Christ’s love sustains us every day. And Christlike love is the love we hope and pray will govern our actions.
His love does sustain us. And, as we approach Valentines Day, I will remember God’s love for me. Thanks Melinda and God bless.
It’s true Yvonne, we do love a good love story! Though many wonderful tales of love have been told, there is no love story like the story of Christ’s love for His people. Thank you for the powerful scriptures to remind us of His great love.
I am so grateful for His ever lasting love for us. Thanks Melissa and God bless.
Yvonne, my favorite all-time movie is Pride and Prejudice. But my favorite love story is God’s.
Good choices! Thanks Karen and God bless
I’m reading through the Bible in six months. I just finished Joshua and the one thing that struck me is how God does indeed punish sin. In some cases we might feel that what God did to his own people was unloving, but in reality, he was teaching them that he was just as well as loving. After reading your post I was comforted by the truth found in Psalm 103:9, “He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;” God’s grace through Jesus Christ stops the accusing, and removes his anger against us. Because Jesus paid the price for our sin, we can experience all of God’s love. Great post, Yvonne!
Thank you so much Marcie and what a blessing for us to know that He loves us forever. Thanks for commenting and God bless