Laughter is good medicine; even the Bible tells us this truth. But, unfortunately, with all the bad news in our world, I think many forget to laugh sometimes. God provides us with many opportunities to smile or even giggle daily if we look for them. The author of Ecclesiastes 8:15 even says, “So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun.” So, God intended us to find joy and laughter even amid our troubles.
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.Proverbs 17:22
Laughter is Good Medicine
I think we take ourselves too seriously sometimes and forget to laugh along the path of life. Laughter and rejoicing are mentioned throughout the Bible. God gave us laughter to lighten our burdens. And when our hearts feel light enough to laugh, we can quickly rejoice at all God has done for us. Yes, Ecclesiastes 3:4 reminds us that there is a time to cry and a time to laugh. And, we need to find time to weep and laugh during a pandemic because, without laughter, our spirit will become crushed.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.”Psalm 126:2
God Gave Us Laughter
Not only does the Bible recommend laughter as good medicine, but the experts found the following benefits to our health when we laugh. (https://daringtolivefully.com/how-to-laugh-more).
- Laughter causes you to gulp in large portions of air, thereby oxygenating your blood.
- Chuckling decreases stress hormones in the body such as cortisol and adrenaline, thus helping to stave off illness.
- Laughter strengthens the immune system.
- When we laugh, our bodies release hormones and chemicals that have positive effects on our system. One of these chemicals is endorphins, the feel-good hormone.
- One minute of laughing burns the same number of calories as 6 to 10 minutes on a treadmill.
- Laughing raises your mood; joyfulness through laughter is the fastest way to create a positive state of mind.
- Laughing is good for the heart and improves blood circulation.
- Laughter can reduce pain and aid the healing process.
- Laughter creates and strengthens human connections.
- It feels good to laugh.
“He will once again fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.”Job 8:21
Finding Ways to Laugh Again
Take time today to look for ways to laugh. Here are a few suggestions to help bring laughter back into your life.
- Play some board games with your family.
- Learn to laugh at yourself for the silly mistakes we all make.
- Go to a playground and play with your children.
- Find friends who will help you laugh.
- Go to the zoo and look at all the various animals God created. Some just look funny.
- Watch a wholesome, funny show or movie.
- Turn off the daily news.
They are many more ways to add laughter back into life if we just take the time to look for them daily. Don’t let the dark days of life rob us of our joy. May God grant you a time of laughter today.Laughter is Good Medicine – Laughter is good medicine; even the Bible tells us this truth. Click To Tweet
Heavenly Father, we feel lost in a sea of despair during these days of COVID. Our burdens feel heavy. Help us to lighten our loads with Your joy of laughter. Thank you for all Your hands provide. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
Do you need prayer? I would love to pray for you. Submit your prayer request on my website at https://yvonne-morgan.com/submit-your-prayer-request-here/
Grace and Peace to you,
Yvonne M. Morgan is a Christian #author, #blogger, and #speaker. #BibleGatewayPartner
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”