Thanksgiving is the time to show gratitude for many things in our lives. So whether you spend the holiday thanking family, friends, co-workers, or even yourself, don’t forget to show appreciation to the Lord.
So, this year, as are families gather to observe Thanksgiving, let’s remember to celebrate the greatest gift of all — salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ.
Start a new Thanksgiving tradition this year by having someone read a Bible verse about thanking God for His many blessings, and reading thankful scripture will remind you how to express gratitude to the author of our feast.
Thanksgiving Bible Verses
Here are 15 Bible verses to use as you reflect on God’s abundant blessings this year.
- Psalm 95:2-3 (NIV): “2 Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. 3 For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV): “16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- 2 Corinthians 9:15 (NIV): “15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!”
- Psalm 103:1-4 (NIV): “1 Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. 2 Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—3 who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, 4 who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.”
- Colossians 4:2 (NIV): “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”
- James 1:17 (NIV): “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
- Hebrews 12:28 (NIV): “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.”
- Psalm 100:4 (NIV): “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”
- 1 Corinthians 10:16 (NIV): “Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?”
- Philippians 4:6 (NIV): “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
- 1 Timothy 4:4 (NIV): “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving.”
- Isaiah 12:4-5 (NASB): “4 And on that day you will say, Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name. Make known His deeds among the peoples; Make them remember that His name is exalted. 5 Praise the Lord in song, for He has done glorious things; Let this be known throughout the earth.”
- Psalm 50:14 (NASB): “Offer God a sacrifice of thanksgiving And pay your vows to the Most High.”
- Ephesians 5:20 (NASB): “always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father.”
- Psalm 50:23 (NASB): “He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors Me; And to him who sets his way properly I will show the salvation of God.”
A Thanksgiving Prayer
And before everyone digs into all the fantastic food, remember to offer a Thanksgiving prayer. And, if you can’t think of the right words to say, here is one prayer that I love to say during this season of Thanksgiving:
“For the laughter of the children, for my own life breath, for the abundance of food on this table, for the ones who prepared this sumptuous feast, for the roof over our heads, the clothes on our backs, for our health, and our wealth of blessings, for this opportunity to celebrate with family and friends, for the freedom to pray these words without fear, in any language, in any faith, in this great country, whose landscape is as vast and beautiful as her inhabitants. Thank you, God, for giving us all these. Amen.”Rabbi Naomi Levy
Do you need prayer? I would love to pray for you. Submit your prayer request on my website at https://yvonne-morgan.com/submit-your-prayer-request-here/
Grace and Peace to you,
Yvonne M. Morgan is a Christian #author, #blogger, and #speaker. #BibleGatewayPartner
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”